Walter Rose Celebrates Awards Win with Banging Sausage Recipe!
This week was an extra special week for Walter Rose & Son, not only is it UK Sausage Week, but Director Steve Cook (pictured above with TV Chef Lesley Waters) was invited up to Butchers Hall in London to receive his award for winning the Traditional category with his Walter Rose English Pork Sausage.
Walter Rose felt that this wise little winning sausage worthy of a special recipe to celebrate its success, so has been incorporated in a special ‘UK Sausage Week’ Recipe of the month, kindly submitted by Caroline Wrench, Boss Lady of Wiltshire-based cookery school Coco and Roses.
Caroline hosts regular cookery demos at her home and has more than twenty years’ experience of cooking for both large events and bespoke parties.
When Caroline heard of Walter Rose’s success in UK Sausage Week, she simply had to celebrate with the creation of this wonderful Autumnal winter warmer:
UK Sausage Week Winning Old English Sausages with Roasted Squash, Apple & Crispy Kale
Serves 4 Prep time: 10 mins Cooking time: approximately 30/40mins
1 red onion, halved and sliced
1 small squash/half a larger one, peeled, seeded and cut into small chunks
2 eating apples, cored and cut into small chunks
1 leek, thinly sliced
8 award-winning Walter Rose Old English Pork Sausages
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
1 teaspoon runny honey
1 or 2 teaspoon English Mustard (to taste)
3 large handfuls of shredded kale (removing any stalks)
1. Heat oven to 220oC/top oven of an Aga/similar.
2. In a large tray, roast squash chunks in a little oil for approx 10 mins, to soften.
3. Add sliced onion, leeks, apple & mix spices with oil, salt & pepper and pour over all the veg making sure it is all well coated.
4. Brown off sausages and then add to vegetables.
5. Roast in oven until sausages are fully cooked and nicely browned (approx 35/40 mins). This can be covered and kept on one side/in the fridge until you are ready to eat. Bring back to room temperature before continuing with recipe.
6. Rub a small amount of oil in your hands through the shredded kale and then sprinkle on top of sausage & veg. Put back into oven for a further 5 mins.
7. Finally, when ready to serve, mix together vinegar, honey & mustard and drizzle over the roasted mixture.
For more delicious recipes and ideas, please go to www.cocoandroses.co.uk and book to join Caroline at her regular cooking demos around her kitchen table.